Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Brake Fluid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
pappaone

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 10/31/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/14 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed the brake fluid was a little low on MH and was going to add some when I notice what I have says DOT3 HIGH Temperature SYNTHETIC.

Not knowing what the present fluid is will it make any difference if I add the SYNTHETIC to what is there?

Thank you


Rich & Jennie(mate of 58 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup

timmac

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/14 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]

opps

rgatijnet1

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/05/14 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pappaone wrote:

I noticed the brake fluid was a little low on MH and was going to add some when I notice what I have says DOT3 HIGH Temperature SYNTHETIC.

Not knowing what the present fluid is will it make any difference if I add the SYNTHETIC to what is there?

Thank you


Brake fluid is not something that gets low unless you have a leak, or your pads/shoes are worn way down. I would suggest that you have a complete brake inspection and have them flush the old fluid out of your entire system and replace with new fluid.
On my coach, a complete fluid flush uses 3 quarts of fluid.

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/14/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/14 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

pappaone wrote:

I noticed the brake fluid was a little low on MH and was going to add some when I notice what I have says DOT3 HIGH Temperature SYNTHETIC.

Not knowing what the present fluid is will it make any difference if I add the SYNTHETIC to what is there?

Thank you


Brake fluid is not something that gets low unless you have a leak, or your pads/shoes are worn way down. I would suggest that you have a complete brake inspection and have them flush the old fluid out of your entire system and replace with new fluid.
On my coach, a complete fluid flush uses 3 quarts of fluid.
I agree with Ronnie, at least flush your system and put new fluid in!

jfkmk

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2011

View Profile



Posted: 06/05/14 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pappaone wrote:

I noticed the brake fluid was a little low on MH and was going to add some when I notice what I have says DOT3 HIGH Temperature SYNTHETIC.

Not knowing what the present fluid is will it make any difference if I add the SYNTHETIC to what is there?

Thank you


Just how low is it? The reservoir naturally goes down as the pads wear.

Smitty77

OnDRoad

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/06/14 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brake Fluid maintenance is of course an important safety area. Low pressure = low or no braking = danger[emoticon]!

Synth's do help avoid on moisture build up, very important to avoid moistire, as hot brakes can cause 'steaming' old non moisture contaminated brake fluids, and steaming = loss of pressure.

I agree that getting the system checked out, and if due, fluid replaced, is a good idea. If you do some Google search, you can find some higher quality certified fluids that have superior properties. Worth paying a bit extra for these fluids, as they can give you a safety edge on long down hills heat potential build up runs...

Best of luck, have fun, be safe,
Smitty

wolfe10

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 10/08/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/06/14 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom line:

New brake fluid boils about 500 degrees F.

Hydrated brake fluid (i.e. older fluid) boils at 284 degrees F.

Any questions????


Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'


FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Tim Nowicki

Alden NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/06/14 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP asked about synthetic brake fluid being added to his unknown type. NOBODY answered his question. I was under the impression synthetic brake fluid and regular brake fluid can't be mixed. True or not true? thanks

rgatijnet1

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/06/14 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tim Nowicki wrote:

OP asked about synthetic brake fluid being added to his unknown type. NOBODY answered his question. I was under the impression synthetic brake fluid and regular brake fluid can't be mixed. True or not true? thanks


The answer was given a couple of times....flush the system if you do not know what is in it. Guessing on what will mix or not is impossible if you do not know one of the fluid types. Some fluids will mix and some will not. It is too big of a gamble to add any type of fluid if you don't know what is in there now.

srt20

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/06/14 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 is synthetic. Some brands just like to advertise it more, but they are all synthetic. So go ahead and mix any of those combos you want.

DOT 5 is silicone brake fluid and is NOT compatible with any of the other brake fluids.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS