Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Jeep Wrangler too much Stress for Itasca Navion?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Jeep Wrangler too much Stress for Itasca Navion?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 11/01/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/23/14 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mich F wrote:

dleslie125 wrote:

Silliness?



I assume Dakzuki was referring to your issue with "tongue weight", which started this thread going off track.
Regardless of which Jeep is chosen, it will be near, at, or above the Navion's tow rating.


Correct.


2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad


Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 11/01/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/23/14 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

My mother is turning 90 this summer. Back in 2002 she wanted to buy a vehicle that she could get in and out from, and fell "In-Love" with a loaded silver 4-door Chevy Tracker ZR-2 4x4 all decked out with a sunroof, power this & that, but it just had to have the gray/black plastic fenders. I don't think her Tracker today has but maybe 12,000 miles on it. It looks brand new inside [emoticon] but has the original tires[emoticon] and the alloys wheels are messed up from salt[emoticon] She is not ready to say good bye to it. She hasn't been able to drive it for two years now so the family switches vehicles and takes her around in it whenever she needs a ride. It is hilarious that she still loves it that much to keep it. Whatever makes Mom happy!

It weighs 2,987 pounds according to HERE.

I figure one day she'll be asking me to sell it. I keep thinking it would make the perfect tow vehicle, especially for a Sprinter-based motor home.

It looks just like this one in color & style, made for Chevy by Suzuki. Suzuki is written all over it under-hood.
[image]


You may find that is was actually made in the GM Canada/Suzuki owned plant in Canada.

dleslie125

Southern Ontario/Palmetto FL in Winter

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/23/14 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dakzuki wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

My mother is turning 90 this summer. Back in 2002 she wanted to buy a vehicle that she could get in and out from, and fell "In-Love" with a loaded silver 4-door Chevy Tracker ZR-2 4x4 all decked out with a sunroof, power this & that, but it just had to have the gray/black plastic fenders. I don't think her Tracker today has but maybe 12,000 miles on it. It looks brand new inside [emoticon] but has the original tires[emoticon] and the alloys wheels are messed up from salt[emoticon] She is not ready to say good bye to it. She hasn't been able to drive it for two years now so the family switches vehicles and takes her around in it whenever she needs a ride. It is hilarious that she still loves it that much to keep it. Whatever makes Mom happy!

It weighs 2,987 pounds according to HERE.

I figure one day she'll be asking me to sell it. I keep thinking it would make the perfect tow vehicle, especially for a Sprinter-based motor home.

It looks just like this one in color & style, made for Chevy by Suzuki. Suzuki is written all over it under-hood.
[image]


You may find that is was actually made in the GM Canada/Suzuki owned plant in Canada.


Ah yes, built at the CAMI plant in Ingersoll along with the Suzuki Sidekick. When they were discontinued the plant started making the Equinox. I think originally the GEO name was stuck on the Trackers sold in the US but Chev in Canada. They even put the GEO name on our 2006 Equinox insurance registration and it would drive me nuts.


2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 • 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC • 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT • 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

Alto Flyfisher

New Mexico

Full Member

Joined: 07/13/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/23/14 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the comments. At this point we are leaning towards a Honda Fit or CRV. We are expecting to do some very long trips and we don't want to stress out our Navion.


Alto Flyfisher
2008 Carriage Cameo + 2007 F-250 FX4 PSD

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/04/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/24/14 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to Honda's site, CR-V "Curb Weight" is 33-3600-lbs and FIT is 25-2600.
So FIT weighs about the same as Corolla, but the Toyotas are towable only with manual transmission.


If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

SnoBear

Where Ever We're Parked

Senior Member

Joined: 12/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/25/14 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you set up the Jeep to tow the Navion [emoticon]

Mich F

Plantation, Fl

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/25/14 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SnoBear wrote:

Could you set up the Jeep to tow the Navion [emoticon]


I've always found it strange that someone in a 24' or 25' motor home would need a toad. [emoticon]


2014 Itasca Spirit 31K

Horizon170

GA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/25/14 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mich F wrote:

SnoBear wrote:

Could you set up the Jeep to tow the Navion [emoticon]


I've always found it strange that someone in a 24' or 25' motor home would need a toad. [emoticon]


Have you ever tried to drive on soft sand with your RV, or drive in the desert over large rocks in your RV? A lot of times we are in one CG for a month at a time and the TOAD is easier with no unhooking utilities.
To each his own, but I need my TOAD most of the time.


Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)


dleslie125

Southern Ontario/Palmetto FL in Winter

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/14 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon170 wrote:

Mich F wrote:

SnoBear wrote:

Could you set up the Jeep to tow the Navion [emoticon]


I've always found it strange that someone in a 24' or 25' motor home would need a toad. [emoticon]


Have you ever tried to drive on soft sand with your RV, or drive in the desert over large rocks in your RV? A lot of times we are in one CG for a month at a time and the TOAD is easier with no unhooking utilities.
To each his own, but I need my TOAD most of the time.


Right on. My DW is one of those who thinks that having to tow is a case of poor planning. I've had to remind her many times of our first MH and not towing - and how with just bikes we were captives of the camp ground.

Even with a very small unit it means disconnecting utilities, leaving items lying around while sightseeing etc. Not for me thanks.

Jk4747

Dallas

New Member

Joined: 04/26/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/14 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an 08 view , gas engine, and have been towing 05 wrangler u limited (3700 lbs) for about a year. No problems. Been thinking we should put a larger transmission cooler on it. Comments?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Jeep Wrangler too much Stress for Itasca Navion?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS