Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Towing: Reese Dual Cam Verses Pro-Pride
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Reese Dual Cam Verses Pro-Pride

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
backlater

Asheville NC

New Member

Joined: 01/30/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/17/14 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are new at this and we just purchased an Airstream 25 foot travel trailer and a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. We are wondering which hitch would be better a Reese Dual Cam or a Pro-Pride. Is the Reese Dual Cam enough or are we still going to get sway? My husband thinks the Dual Cam will be sufficient, but I am a scardy cat and I don't want any sway. I would appreciate any input from the experienced pros out there...thanks! - Ruth

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2005

View Profile



Posted: 04/17/14 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The greatest way to avoid sway, first off, is to load the trailer so you have 10% to 15% of the weight on the tongue. When properly loaded, sway should be very difficult to induce with your pickup's weight and wheelbase taken into account.

Plenty of people like the Dual Cam, but it does require careful, accurate setup. And drilling some holes in the trailer frame. I am more partial to either the Equal-i-zer or the Andersen No-Sway (I have one of each).

Pro Pride and Hensley Arrow are considered the best out there, and for good reason. But their prices reflect that. Do you need one of them? I don't think so. But if you have the money, they certainly won't do you any harm to use.


Mike G.
--currently in between trailers--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)


Ron Gratz

full time RVer

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/17/14 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

backlater wrote:

We are new at this and we just purchased an Airstream 25 foot travel trailer and a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. We are wondering which hitch would be better a Reese Dual Cam or a Pro-Pride. Is the Reese Dual Cam enough or are we still going to get sway? My husband thinks the Dual Cam will be sufficient, but I am a scardy cat and I don't want any sway. I would appreciate any input from the experienced pros out there...thanks! - Ruth

This post is from someone who had a ProPride and replaced it with a Reese Dual Cam Strait Line.

Ron

jerem0621

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/17/14 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Pro Pride and Hensley are amazing pieces of technology. The design has been sold about 21 years or so.

Before the Hensley came along the top WD hitch with sway control was the Dual-Cam sway control from Reese. As a matter of fact many old airstreams are bought with old dual cam arms installed on the trailer.

Either are fine hitches and will get the job done. Your hubby is correct DC is more than enough.

Thanks!

Jeremiah


Tow Vehicle- 2008 F150, SuperCrew XLT, 2wd, 4.6 (248 HP, 294 lb ft tq)
Pro Series 550 Round bar hitch
Great pickup truck!

fla-gypsy

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 04/19/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/18/14 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Reese Dual Cam is a excellent integrated WD/sway control hitch. I have been very satisfied with mine.


This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Online
Posted: 04/18/14 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DC is an excellent sway control hitch. it does a great job of keeping my 35ft trailer directly behind my Excursion. you will have great results with a 25ft trailer!


Wife Kim ">
Son Brandon 13yrs">
Daughter Marissa 12yrs">
Dog Bailey ">

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!">


Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/20/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/18/14 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been towing our rig with the DC setup for 12 years. It is more than adequate.

Set up is straight-forward but DO follow the instructions to the letter. I found it helpful to take the rig for some test-drives experimenting with differing numbers of links under tension/ball mount angle, etc.


Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
">


Wishin

Grand Rapids, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/18/14 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering the size of your trailer, only 25 feet and that it is aerodynamic, I think you'd have few issues with a HD truck like you have regardless of the type of hitch used. A Dual Cam would be more than adequate.


2014 Wildwood 26TBSS
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's
1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon


Jayco23FB

North Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/18/14 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drbolasky wrote:

I've been towing our rig with the DC setup for 12 years. It is more than adequate.

Set up is straight-forward but DO follow the instructions to the letter. I found it helpful to take the rig for some test-drives experimenting with differing numbers of links under tension/ball mount angle, etc.

I just installed a Reese DC but havn't had a chance to tow with it any distance as yet. What are you looking for when differing the number of links? Thanks


Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L


fla-gypsy

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 04/19/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/18/14 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco23FB wrote:

Drbolasky wrote:

I've been towing our rig with the DC setup for 12 years. It is more than adequate.

Set up is straight-forward but DO follow the instructions to the letter. I found it helpful to take the rig for some test-drives experimenting with differing numbers of links under tension/ball mount angle, etc.

I just installed a Reese DC but havn't had a chance to tow with it any distance as yet. What are you looking for when differing the number of links? Thanks


How much weight is distributed is partly controlled by the number of links under tension on the DC. BTW, more is not always better. It is the balance of weight distributed to the truck axles that is key.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Reese Dual Cam Verses Pro-Pride
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS