Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Trucks or Buses Left Lane Only. Does that mean me?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > Trucks or Buses Left Lane Only. Does that mean me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
The Texan

Cascade, ID - Toquerville, UT

Senior Member

Joined: 01/16/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/11/14 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daveinet wrote:

You might get harassed, or an uneducated cop might even ticket you, but you would get off on a technicality. There was a federal supreme court decision back in the 70s that determined that an RV is in its own class and is not classified as a truck. This means that any regulation must specifically call out a motorhome somewhere in the law. (often times the definitions of terms are given as a preface for the law).

You are kidding, if you think a 70's SCOTUS cite will get you off today, unless you are willing to spend at least 100x the cost of the citation. You go in and tell a traffic magistrate that and he will laugh as he levies the fine. If you appeal, you will be at the mercy of a county judge who probably will follow the same procedure as the traffic court.......also, the case you are probably referring to, was a "parking" case in Euclid Ohio, not a moving infraction.


Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ 2016 Rzr 900 & 2013 Rzr 570 riding in 24' trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today


kiloo9

Houston Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/11/14 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another common reason for directing heavy vehicles like trucks and buses specially on interstate highways to specific lanes is the wear and tear of the road surface, by switching or alternating heavy traffic the road last a lot longer before repairs are needed, If you ever travel on I-30 or I-40 East or West you will see this on different areas depending on the road conditions its almost like seasonal, common in other areas just as well.
Happy and safe Rving


"Freedom is not Free"
Ask a Veteran



Daveinet

il

Senior Member

Joined: 10/29/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/12/14 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wallynm wrote:

Try telling the Californian court that.

Daveinet wrote:

You might get harassed, or an uneducated cop might even ticket you, but you would get off on a technicality. There was a federal supreme court decision back in the 70s that determined that an RV is in its own class and is not classified as a truck. This means that any regulation must specifically call out a motorhome somewhere in the law. (often times the definitions of terms are given as a preface for the law)
Most likely it would be stated in the preface in the regulation designating the definition of a truck. If the law does not specifically outline the definition to include a motorhome, then you did not have a good lawyer to argue the case. Particularly when many signs on the same route refer specifically to trucks that are not motorhomes, such as weight stations. You can't have the definition of a truck randomly change along the same highway. Any lawyer worth his salt should know how to present the case, especially when its a Supreme Court decision.


IRV2

11B

Salt Lake

Full Member

Joined: 07/11/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/12/14 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my way to Az. last year before we got to the new Boulder Dam bridge the sign instructed all High Profile vehicle's to use the inside or left lane to cross the bridge due to high wind danger.

My feeling is there's a reason they take the time to post the signs directing traffic and they should be obeyed exit or not two miles a head. It's been my experience that when a forty foot rig towing a car puts on its blinker and start's to move over other vehicle's tend to let you in out of sheer fear your coming over one way or the other.

bigred1cav

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/12/14 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is this an issue. You are driving a truck, go with the trucks.





MRUSA

Wellington, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/12/14 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

Why is this an issue. You are driving a truck, go with the trucks.


Wrong. That's the whole point. A motorhome is NOT a truck.

In addition, truck or not, you are not expected to make a right turn from the left lane. If you need to exit right, you should be in the right lane comfortably before the exit.


Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2010 Lincoln MKT toad
Unified Tow Brake
Pressure Pro Tire Monitor


the silverback

SW Mich

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/12/14 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes!!


the silverback
Winnebago Adventurer
Workhorse W24
Ford Edge

azpete

paulden

Senior Member

Joined: 07/03/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/13/14 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what ever happened to common sense. use the left lane as needed. get in the right lane when appropriate, whether its the left or right.
safety should be your first concern. motorhomes are not considered trucks. however following truck rules for safety is not a bad idea.
having driven over almost all the major highways , 4 lane and two, in the lower 48 states, in various size vehicles,, ive found common sense, courtesy, and restraint using the middle finger has resulted in no accidents of any magnitude. hopefully the second million will be the same uneventful experience.

bigred1cav

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/13/14 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Motorhome is built on a truck frame, it is a truck. How silly is your argument that you can't turn right from the left lane. Make your lane change and turn right. The traffic direction say drive in this or that lane not turn across traffic.

In my precinct your life and driving if it is a indicated would have put you and your MH in jail. I had zero tolerance for those thinking laws were for the other fellow. Drive in wrong lane, get a citation, mouth off, go to jail and have MH impounded.



MRUSA wrote:

bigred1cav wrote:

Why is this an issue. You are driving a truck, go with the trucks.


Wrong. That's the whole point. A motorhome is NOT a truck.

In addition, truck or not, you are not expected to make a right turn from the left lane. If you need to exit right, you should be in the right lane comfortably before the exit.


The Texan

Cascade, ID - Toquerville, UT

Senior Member

Joined: 01/16/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/13/14 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

A Motorhome is built on a truck frame, it is a truck. How silly is your argument that you can't turn right from the left lane. Make your lane change and turn right. The traffic direction say drive in this or that lane not turn across traffic.

In my precinct your life and driving if it is a indicated would have put you and your MH in jail. I had zero tolerance for those thinking laws were for the other fellow. Drive in wrong lane, get a citation, mouth off, go to jail and have MH impounded.



MRUSA wrote:

bigred1cav wrote:

Why is this an issue. You are driving a truck, go with the trucks.


Wrong. That's the whole point. A motorhome is NOT a truck.

In addition, truck or not, you are not expected to make a right turn from the left lane. If you need to exit right, you should be in the right lane comfortably before the exit.
Usually bigred1cav and I agree to disagree, but not on this topic. You are driving a vehicle that is NOT a car, so figure it out for yourself. I too, would have stopped someone in this situation, if for nothing else than to try and educate him on what he was doing wrong. If he elected to take it downhill from there, then the stop may have taken on a whole new scenario. Common sense behind the wheel is what it is about, NOT your bravado.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > Trucks or Buses Left Lane Only. Does that mean me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS