Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 03/01/14 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

mountainsam wrote:

Four wheel drive is for getting you out of the mess 2 wheel drive got you into.


No, with 2wd you get out & have a look before you drive into questionable places.

Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.


How true!! Long time saying here is, a 4WD will only get you in deeper, and then you are really stuck.

I am on my 6th 4x4, and the only one I haven't had really stuck, is my current one, with only 4,000 miles on it. At least it was deep snow, which requires a lot shoveling, more so when the frame is being held up by crusted snow, and no tires touching ground. Still better than being stuck in deep mud!!

Jerry





DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

Senior Member

Joined: 01/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/01/14 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

DSteiner51 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

DSteiner51 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:



Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.


???? You either have 2wd or 4wd and if the driver/owner hasn't figured out which he has he be in real hurt.


At any point with 4WD only 2 wheels normally have power going to them. A front wheel & a rear wheel. A 2WD only has power to 1 wheel, the one that is spinning joyously.


This is totally false. Have you ever seen the inside of a differential?


You're kidding right? It is totally true unless you have limited slip or other locker. Open diffs, all power goes toward the wheel with least resistance. Most 4WD trucks do get ordered with limited slip in the rear axle, but plenty of them don't.


NO!!! I AM NOT KIDDING! A 2 wheel drive vehicle is exactly that. In an open differential BOTH wheels get equal torque. If one wheel hits a slippery spot then it will spin limiting the amount of torque to the other side to the same amount as it takes to spin the wheel on the slippery surface.

Many limited slip differentials add a slip clutch to the differential allowing extra torque being put on the wheel with more traction. Locking differentials will allow all the torque to go to the wheel with traction. Newer traction control will use the brakes, much the same as we did years ago on old farm tractors by holding the brake on the spinning wheel requiring added torque to turn it and it response increasing the torque also to the traction side.

A 4wheel drive vehicle has two differential, front and rear and both work the same way making it a true 4wheel drive vehicle.

The differential is not just a right angle gearbox as many believe. I was working on one years ago when an older farmer first told me that lie. It didn't take but a few minutes with the axle on the work bench and tires off the ground proving that lie for what it was.

Learn something before spouting.

Here is another one. It does have one small error in the commentary but most folks won't catch it.

* This post was edited 03/01/14 12:58pm by DSteiner51 *


D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.


C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/26/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/01/14 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not necessary but I can go down to Dillon from the tunnel with my 15k 5er at 55mph and not touch the brake peddle for more than 10 seconds. Craig

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/01/14 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSteiner51 wrote:

bpounds wrote:

DSteiner51 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

DSteiner51 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:



Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.


???? You either have 2wd or 4wd and if the driver/owner hasn't figured out which he has he be in real hurt.


At any point with 4WD only 2 wheels normally have power going to them. A front wheel & a rear wheel. A 2WD only has power to 1 wheel, the one that is spinning joyously.


This is totally false. Have you ever seen the inside of a differential?


You're kidding right? It is totally true unless you have limited slip or other locker. Open diffs, all power goes toward the wheel with least resistance. Most 4WD trucks do get ordered with limited slip in the rear axle, but plenty of them don't.


NO!!! I AM NOT KIDDING! A 2 wheel drive vehicle is exactly that. In an open differential BOTH wheels get equal torque. If one wheel hits a slippery spot then it will spin limiting the amount of torque to the other side to the same amount as it takes to spin the wheel on the slippery surface.

Many limited slip differentials add a slip clutch to the differential allowing extra torque being put on the wheel with more traction. Locking differentials will allow all the torque to go to the wheel with traction. Newer traction control will use the brakes, much the same as we did years ago on old farm tractors by holding the brake on the spinning wheel requiring added torque to turn it and it response increasing the torque also to the traction side.

A 4wheel drive vehicle has two differential, front and rear and both work the same way making it a true 4wheel drive vehicle.

The differential is not just a right angle gearbox as many believe. I was working on one years ago when an older farmer first told me that lie. It didn't take but a few minutes with the axle on the work bench and tires off the ground proving that lie for what it was.

Learn something before spouting.

Here is another one. It does have one small error in the commentary but most folks won't catch it.


Well, clearly you were kidding, or just felt like being argumentive. Of course it is a simplication to say an open diff is one wheel drive, but in practice that is exactly what it is. If you've ever been stuck in the mud and watched one wheel roostertail the mud, or layed down one a track burnout, which I know you have, then you understand why. So you just wanted to pout and show us all that you know how a diff works. Good job!


2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver


DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

Senior Member

Joined: 01/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/01/14 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:



Well, clearly you were kidding, or just felt like being argumentive. Of course it is a simplication to say an open diff is one wheel drive, but in practice that is exactly what it is. If you've ever been stuck in the mud and watched one wheel roostertail the mud, or layed down one a track burnout, which I know you have, then you understand why. So you just wanted to pout and show us all that you know how a diff works. Good job!


Sorry, I was not kidding and you have proven you have no clue. I was trying to correct a myth that a poster posted that is very common yet wrong. I see an number of myths and because it is on the internet "it has to be true." It never was true but obvious you were too lazy to watch the links so reasoning is out of the question. Facts are facts regardless what one wants the facts to be. Have a good day.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/24/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/01/14 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

golf_bears wrote:

You don't need 4 wheel until you need it!!!! Then you'll wish you had it!!!!


Been there, done that - didn't need it. (Current TV is 2 wheel drive)

Regular visitor to 7K ft mountains in winter. Didn't go "up" unless there was LOTS of snow. Had a cabin there for many years.

Part of the time I had 2 wheel drive pickup - didn't even have a locking diff. Got "stuck" one time - shoveled fresh snow under spinning wheel - drove off.

Same place - figured I should have 4 x 4, why not?
Two different vehicles over several years, never used the 4 x 4. Only advantage, was you didn't have to chain up when chains were required.

Disadvantage - got to spend some $ on repairs I wouldn't have had to if the vehicle/s were 2 wheel drive.

My place in the mtns:
Paved side street exited onto a busy highway. Shaded icy spot for last 200' with slight downhill.
With a slow approach, my 2 wheel drive always did just fine.
Got to watch the hard-charging "flatlander" 4 x 4 folks slide out into the highway with some really scary narrow misses!

Serious off-road 4x4 folks have lockers at "both ends" - otherwise it's still a slightly different version of 2 wheel drive.

IMO - it's a personal choice. Some gotta have it for fun or necessity: un-paved farm roads, mud, etc.
Decide on what *you* want/need to do.

However, if you buy 4 x 4 plan ahead for added pin *height* - before you get any unwanted surprises.. [emoticon]

~

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/01/14 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

...shoveled fresh snow under spinning wheel...


Oh, but that can't happen. Didn't you read the expert above?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 03/02/14 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fact that you asked, tells me you don't need it.

Resale: You pay $2500 to get $1000 back at resale? Yes, 2wd sell just fine and they are around.

Off-roading with a 5th wheel: With the 5th wheel attached, a 2wd gets really good traction especially if you have a limited slip diff. More importantly, you will wind up smacking the bed rails with the overhang if you get into any real 4x4 territory.

You need it for normal driving in snow: 30 yrs of driving in Michigan including time spent living on dirt roads and only 1 time it might have been handy.

A 1-ton dually by itself is a horrible off road vehicle, bit and clunky. Not very maneuverable.

If you want one, by all means get one but understand, from a financial perspective this is a cost without a payback.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


Pete_k

Stantonville Tn

Senior Member

Joined: 03/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/14 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always told myself Never would I buy a 2 wheel drive again. Well yesterday never happened. Bought a custom Chevy Kodiak c5500 crew cab to tow our camper with. So I'm sure tow bills are in my future. But do plan on adding a hidden winch to the front. That way I can winch my self out if I do mess up.
[image]
My 10 year old the 13th of this month 2500HD has not been used off road more then a hand full of times. Those times It was wait hours or go around stuff. And 4x4 is worth ever cent. If I had bought new you can bet the Ram would have been 4x4.
Could not pass up the C5500 with a cummins motor and allison trans.


2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2008 Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller, With a Evinrude 90 HP E-Tec
Live near Pickwick Dam and the Tn river

rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 03/02/14 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pete_k wrote:

I always told myself Never would I buy a 2 wheel drive again. Well yesterday never happened. Bought a custom Chevy Kodiak c5500 crew cab to tow our camper with. So I'm sure tow bills are in my future. But do plan on adding a hidden winch to the front. That way I can winch my self out if I do mess up.
[image]
My 10 year old the 13th of this month 2500HD has not been used off road more then a hand full of times. Those times It was wait hours or go around stuff. And 4x4 is worth ever cent. If I had bought new you can bet the Ram would have been 4x4.
Could not pass up the C5500 with a cummins motor and allison trans.


Nice engine,nice Trans, what size is the Cummins, you didn't mention the year of the TC.


Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig (Passed), Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 303,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS