Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/28/14 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both and have made a living using both and here's what I think on the subject.

Get what you need as I have no idea what you do with the truck.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/28/14 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

I have owned nothing but 4WD since 1985. And it gets used plenty.

I have this disease. Cannot pass a dirt road without being drawn toward finding where it goes.

Paved highways do not go to the best places.

If you don't suffer from the need to explore, you will be happy with 2WD.


I =love= it! :-)

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 58 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/28/14 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wandering1 wrote:

You dont need a 4 wheel drive to tow an RV. You wouldnt be able to pull the dead weight of an RV thru the terrain you need a 4 wheel drive for.


Crap. There's plenty of "everyday" dirt roads that having 4wd makes for a better, and safer, tow. (Hell, I'll run 4wd on the same road when NOT towing, because it's more comfortable.) There's plenty of unimproved roads that you can tow into with a 2wd, but 4wd makes it a whole lot easier. I travel one every year to our annual family campout. Running about 15-25 mph on a daily-use dirt road and running in 4wd makes a big difference in handing and ride. Once I get off on the side road, I could, and have, run it in 2wd, but why?, when 4LO makes it so much easier, both on me =and= my FW. I'm in no hurry...

Lyle

mountainsam

Plumas Lake, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/10/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/28/14 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four wheel drive is for getting you out of the mess 2 wheel drive got you into.


2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/01/14 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainsam wrote:

Four wheel drive is for getting you out of the mess 2 wheel drive got you into.


No, with 2wd you get out & have a look before you drive into questionable places.

Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.


Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

Senior Member

Joined: 01/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/01/14 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:



Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.


???? You either have 2wd or 4wd and if the driver/owner hasn't figured out which he has he be in real hurt.


D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.


Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/01/14 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSteiner51 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:



Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.


???? You either have 2wd or 4wd and if the driver/owner hasn't figured out which he has he be in real hurt.


At any point with 4WD only 2 wheels normally have power going to them. A front wheel & a rear wheel. A 2WD only has power to 1 wheel, the one that is spinning joyously.

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/01/14 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have we beat this one enough? [emoticon]

I guess not...

If you want to drive here...
[image]

and set up camp here...
[image]

then you might find 4WD useful. North Rim, Grand Canyon.

But if this is your camping style...
[image]

then can't imagine you'll need it.


2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver


DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

Senior Member

Joined: 01/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/01/14 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

DSteiner51 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:



Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.


???? You either have 2wd or 4wd and if the driver/owner hasn't figured out which he has he be in real hurt.


At any point with 4WD only 2 wheels normally have power going to them. A front wheel & a rear wheel. A 2WD only has power to 1 wheel, the one that is spinning joyously.


This is totally false. Have you ever seen the inside of a differential?

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/01/14 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSteiner51 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

DSteiner51 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:



Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.


???? You either have 2wd or 4wd and if the driver/owner hasn't figured out which he has he be in real hurt.


At any point with 4WD only 2 wheels normally have power going to them. A front wheel & a rear wheel. A 2WD only has power to 1 wheel, the one that is spinning joyously.


This is totally false. Have you ever seen the inside of a differential?


You're kidding right? It is totally true unless you have limited slip or other locker. Open diffs, all power goes toward the wheel with least resistance. Most 4WD trucks do get ordered with limited slip in the rear axle, but plenty of them don't.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS