Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: What's Your Recommendation for Tires?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > What's Your Recommendation for Tires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
revflyr

seattle

New Member

Joined: 05/31/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/25/14 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have 8 years out of your current tires, I would buy the same tires. If they are Goodyear G674 you can buy them online @ simple tire for app $320. The tires are rated @ 3750 lbs @ 110 psi. The cost is high, but I never put a dollar amount on safety.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/25/14 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't cheap out on tire's for that big heavy trailer.
I wouldn't recommend putting a ST back on that trailer especially a Carlisle. A google on Carlisle ST tires shows its #1 in trailer tire complaints and horror stories from actual victims.

IMO your LT235/85-16 may be the G load range at 3750 lb capacity. The same size in the E Michelin you mention has 3042 lb capacity and may not be enough capacity for your trailers 7k axles. I'm guessing here.

Many folks have gone with the commercial grade Sailun S637 in the same LT235/85-16 G load range at 3750 lb capacity.

Or as suggested move up to 17.5" wheels and commercial grade LT tires at 4xxx lbs capacity.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 02/25/14 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8000# axles........'G' rated tires

Goodyear G614s or Sailun S637s.......no other GOOD choices in 16" 'G' Rated

You need the 'G' rated (load capacity) for that rig.

And YES you need new tires NOW.


Is it time for your medication or mine?


2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

MSFSnTEXAS

Texas

New Member

Joined: 01/31/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/25/14 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

8000# axles........'G' rated tires

Goodyear G614s or Sailun S637s.......no other GOOD choices in 16" 'G' Rated

You need the 'G' rated (load capacity) for that rig.

And YES you need new tires NOW.


Yes, on all points. Found them in stock at the local Discount Tire, $422 per tire. Looks like I'll be spending $1,700 tomorrow. But peace of mind and knowing we're traveling safely down the road for ourselves, and others as well, is well worth the expense.

Thanks all for your input. It's most appreciated.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 01/25/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/25/14 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 13 years of working with our guests, I've not seen tire failure problems on a 5er using Michelin, Maxxis or Hercules tires.

Us out West

Eloy, AZ (winter - now), Reno (home base summer)

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/25/14 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSFSnTEXAS wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

8000# axles........'G' rated tires

Goodyear G614s or Sailun S637s.......no other GOOD choices in 16" 'G' Rated

You need the 'G' rated (load capacity) for that rig.

And YES you need new tires NOW.


Yes, on all points. Found them in stock at the local Discount Tire, $422 per tire. Looks like I'll be spending $1,700 tomorrow. But peace of mind and knowing we're traveling safely down the road for ourselves, and others as well, is well worth the expense.

Thanks all for your input. It's most appreciated.



Check out Big O's for the Sailun S637s.

They didn't have them in stock at the Reno store for us last year but had them shipped in the next morning.


Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

ol Bombero-JC

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/24/2004

View Profile



Posted: 02/25/14 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robwhite61 wrote:

Uh oh, here we go again. You're going to get more than you wanted to know about tires. Trust me on this.


Now that's a helpful, well thought reply!..[emoticon]

Nope - *NOT* going to trust you on this..[emoticon]

IMO the OP received exactly what he needed to know about appropriate
tire choices for his trailer from "JIMLIN" and "Old-Biscuit".[emoticon]

BTW who is "WE", Kemo Sabe..??..[emoticon]

~

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/25/14 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

robwhite61 wrote:

Uh oh, here we go again. You're going to get more than you wanted to know about tires. Trust me on this.


Now that's a helpful, well thought reply!..[emoticon]

Nope - *NOT* going to trust you on this..[emoticon]

IMO the OP received exactly what he needed to know about appropriate
tire choices for his trailer from "JIMLIN" and "Old-Biscuit".[emoticon]

BTW who is "WE", Kemo Sabe..??..[emoticon]

~


Lighten up and have some popcorn! :-)

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 59 Year Member

ol Bombero-JC

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/24/2004

View Profile



Posted: 02/25/14 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

robwhite61 wrote:

Uh oh, here we go again. You're going to get more than you wanted to know about tires. Trust me on this.


Now that's a helpful, well thought reply!..[emoticon]

Nope - *NOT* going to trust you on this..[emoticon]

IMO the OP received exactly what he needed to know about appropriate
tire choices for his trailer from "JIMLIN" and "Old-Biscuit".[emoticon]

BTW who is "WE", Kemo Sabe..??..[emoticon]

~


Lighten up and have some popcorn! :-)

Lyle



Peanuts.

Ahhh.... now we know who "WE" is!

Have a Bruski and Chill Out yourself..[emoticon]

.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/25/14 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is my recommendation for tires? My brand new toy hauler is getting Michelin XPS Ribs put on tomorrow. Gonna run me around $2k to do three axles. That is what I think of my brand new Chinese ST tires.


2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > What's Your Recommendation for Tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS