Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Double Towing Behind Motorhome
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > Double Towing Behind Motorhome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 11/25/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/18/13 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an email saved from Valley division CHP that says double towing is legal and follows what was stated above about having a Class A with doubles endorsement.

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2003

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 12/18/13 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nevadanick wrote:

I have an email saved from Valley division CHP that says double towing is legal and follows what was stated above about having a Class A with doubles endorsement.


that is the crux of the matter right there: doubles REQUIRES a Class A license with doubles endorsement! A Class C license will not make you legal, and a Non-Commercial Class A will not make you legal. You need a full, Class A commercial license with the doubles endorsement to be legal.

Now, there are people who will say "Well, my buddy is a CHP officer and he does it all the time" - to that I say there are CH officers who also exceed the speed limit, or don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, or don't signal a turn either!


----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004


The Texan

Cascade, ID - Wellton, AZ - Toquerville, UT

Senior Member

Joined: 01/16/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/18/13 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

nevadanick wrote:

I have an email saved from Valley division CHP that says double towing is legal and follows what was stated above about having a Class A with doubles endorsement.


that is the crux of the matter right there: doubles REQUIRES a Class A license with doubles endorsement! A Class C license will not make you legal, and a Non-Commercial Class A will not make you legal. You need a full, Class A commercial license with the doubles endorsement to be legal.

Now, there are people who will say "Well, my buddy is a CHP officer and he does it all the time" - to that I say there are CH officers who also exceed the speed limit, or don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, or don't signal a turn either!
Applies ONLY to CA residents.....read the requirements for NON-residents.


Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
2005 HR 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ 2016 Rzr 900 & 2013 Rzr 570 riding in 24' trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today


zman-az

Northern AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/06/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/19/13 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Just to let you know my canoe will be powered by a Lehr 5hp propane motor, the motors are new on market as of last year 2012, uses the small green propane tank like your portable grill or heater..

Here is the website..

http://golehr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/banner_08-960x500.jpg


Not trying to poop on your party but good luck with that. I am a hardware dealer that dealt with their portable propane powered string trimmers about 4 years ago. Was a total disaster. Poor quality control and lots of upset customers. Hopefully they got their act together now as the propane concept is pretty cool.





timmac

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/19/13 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zman-az wrote:

timmac wrote:

Just to let you know my canoe will be powered by a Lehr 5hp propane motor, the motors are new on market as of last year 2012, uses the small green propane tank like your portable grill or heater..

Here is the website..

http://golehr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/banner_08-960x500.jpg


Not trying to poop on your party but good luck with that. I am a hardware dealer that dealt with their portable propane powered string trimmers about 4 years ago. Was a total disaster. Poor quality control and lots of upset customers. Hopefully they got their act together now as the propane concept is pretty cool.


So far long test runs in a metal trash can with water it works good, starts easy and runs smooth, however it does seem to be on the average quality side, not sure how long it will last, been reports the China company that makes the outboard also did it for Yamaha for a while back as is the same design, the little propane tank is neat, no more fuel spillage in the water and safer to carry fuel in my Jeep, not to mention no more carb to gum up while in storage.

They do have a web-site for owners to get answers on issues, I sent one about different props and they answered back fast, they also have uploaded videos on maintenance and troubling shooting, maybe they are getting their act together..

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2003

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 12/19/13 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

nevadanick wrote:

I have an email saved from Valley division CHP that says double towing is legal and follows what was stated above about having a Class A with doubles endorsement.


that is the crux of the matter right there: doubles REQUIRES a Class A license with doubles endorsement! A Class C license will not make you legal, and a Non-Commercial Class A will not make you legal. You need a full, Class A commercial license with the doubles endorsement to be legal.

Now, there are people who will say "Well, my buddy is a CHP officer and he does it all the time" - to that I say there are CH officers who also exceed the speed limit, or don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, or don't signal a turn either!
Applies ONLY to CA residents.....read the requirements for NON-residents.


Well, of course - that goes without saying, since the CHP is charged with law enforcement of California law on California highways. Briefly, if you are legal to drive a certain combination in your home state then you are generally legal in all states. There are, of course, exceptions and it's those exceptions that might just bite you!

timmac

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/27/13 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

nevadanick wrote:

I have an email saved from Valley division CHP that says double towing is legal and follows what was stated above about having a Class A with doubles endorsement.


that is the crux of the matter right there: doubles REQUIRES a Class A license with doubles endorsement! A Class C license will not make you legal, and a Non-Commercial Class A will not make you legal. You need a full, Class A commercial license with the doubles endorsement to be legal.

Now, there are people who will say "Well, my buddy is a CHP officer and he does it all the time" - to that I say there are CH officers who also exceed the speed limit, or don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, or don't signal a turn either!
Applies ONLY to CA residents.....read the requirements for NON-residents.


After reading the Cali law I am able to tow my Jeep and a boat behind my motorhome if my length is 65ft or under bumper to bumper and allowed up to 70ft total length included over hang such as boat over hang goes past trailer.

{3rd trailer has to be a boat, Jet Ski or small ATV trailer}

My Nevada class c license is good but I will just need a health cert from medical doctor for California.

Nevada no longer requires a R endorsement if trailers are under 10,000 lbs, that also includes double towing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > Double Towing Behind Motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS