Coast Resorts Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th Wheelers in Australia slowly getting accepted
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 5th Wheelers in Australia slowly getting accepted

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/04/13 12:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

My question as well, torsion axles? Air bag with a trailing link? How about basic wall and box construction?

Left as stock, if you were to make all of those sort of changes you would need to start from the beginning and design a radical 5ver. US 5Vers are a compromise at best, similar to European caravans used here.

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/04/13 12:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DodgeVoltage wrote:

These interiors remind me of a hospital room- cold and sterile. I definitely prefer the warm, inviting, less contemporary darker woods we use in the states even if they are cheaply built. Now if we could just get the best of both worlds- quality and warm.

You would find people here would be instantly turned off by those sort of interiors you get in the US. Very different tastes.

Slownsy

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/13 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not every body has the same taste Robert. But the quality of build is defnetly getting better in some OZ build FW but also a lot dearer than in the states.
Frank.


Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/04/13 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slownsy wrote:

Not every body has the same taste Robert. But the quality of build is defnetly getting better in some OZ build FW but also a lot dearer than in the states.
Frank.

Frank you are the exception to the rule, being one of the very few individuals in Australia who still owns a US 5ver.

Slownsy

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/05/13 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Robert but more and more Aussies are importing them, last week a couple contacted me they are going to import a Readwood36Rl I believe it was.
Frank.

Ashbourne

UK

Full Member

Joined: 04/20/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/05/13 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

DodgeVoltage wrote:

These interiors remind me of a hospital room- cold and sterile. I definitely prefer the warm, inviting, less contemporary darker woods we use in the states even if they are cheaply built. Now if we could just get the best of both worlds- quality and warm.

You would find people here would be instantly turned off by those sort of interiors you get in the US. Very different tastes.


X1 here in Europe also

ghostrider42

NM

Full Member

Joined: 11/29/2012

View Profile



Posted: 11/05/13 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Robert and I have been having a discussion about horse trailers - down under called horse floats. My 43' Jamco is a channel lock alum trailer - easily supporting 24,000 on triple axles. The living quarters section with a 17' slide costs an additional $50k and worth it. Two marine heads, marble countertops, Kahrs wood flooring, induction stovetop, double door fridge, sat tv. Sleeps 6. And, all the amenities of home.


3/27/2014 - Sam passed away in his sleep after a long courageous battle with brain cancer - all vehicles have been sold

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/05/13 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ghostrider42 wrote:

Robert and I have been having a discussion about horse trailers - down under called horse floats. My 43' Jamco is a channel lock alum trailer - easily supporting 24,000 on triple axles. The living quarters section with a 17' slide costs an additional $50k and worth it. Two marine heads, marble countertops, Kahrs wood flooring, induction stovetop, double door fridge, sat tv. Sleeps 6. And, all the amenities of home.


Pics would be awesome!

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 59 Year Member

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/05/13 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slownsy wrote:

Sorry Robert but more and more Aussies are importing them, last week a couple contacted me they are going to import a Readwood36Rl I believe it was.
Frank.

Frank you are in the US with your 5ver. In 2012 21,000 RV's were produced in Australia, which would be 315,000 if it was the US.
Of that 21,000 only 30 5vers were sold way down from the 1990's and of that number bulk were locally made.
Jayco and Sunliner hope to turn that around, but I talked to Max Mayo
CEO Of AVIDA(used to be Winnebago Australia) was he going to build a 5th Wheeler instead of Caravans. He replied"You know how many 5th Wheelers were sold in Australia in 2012?. The market has collapsed for them"
Jayco thinks there is a market for them and hopefully they can sell 250 next year.

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/05/13 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Laknox wrote:

Pics would be awesome!

Lyle

basically Horse floats here range from small horse pony sized rigs to Goosenecks pulled by Class 8 trucks. The other "horse floats" are Horse Trucks used for uneven ground,taking the horses long distances. most are Japanese COE ones.
Basic Horse Float
[image]
4 Horse Gooseneck
[image]
40ft Gooseneck Trailer
[image]
Another large Trailer
[image]
Scania Trailer
[image]
Rivenlee three Story trailer
[image]
Basic Horse Truck [image]
New Zealand Built Luxury Trucks
[image]
[image]
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 5th Wheelers in Australia slowly getting accepted
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS